Friday, September 10, 2010

Applesauce Muffins

These muffins are really good.  You'd think it was Christmas morning over and over again with how excited my boys get when I make these.  I make these and a fruit drink.  I throw what ever fruit we feel like in the blender, frozen or fresh.  We use berries, peaches, apples, bananas (I ALWAYS put in a couple of bananas) whatever we feel like and then put in a packet of instant breakfast and orange juice or milk.  Breakfast of champs.  It's a favorite at my house.

The muffins I got from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook.  I use pureed carrots for this one.

Applesauce Muffins

Topping
2/3 c old-fashioned oats
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2  Tlbs margarine, melted

Batter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 c old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I put more in, I also put nutmeg in)
1 c nonfat or low-fat milk
1/2 c butternut squash OR carrot puree
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c vegetable or canola oil (I use flax seed, use it as a 3 to 1 ratio. 1/4 c oil = 3/4 c flax)
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 400.  Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

To make the topping, stir together the oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Stir in the margarine.

To make the batter, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon/nutmeg (if you want) and the flax seed, if are using it, in a large bowl and stir.  In a second bowl, mix the applesauce with the milk, vegetable puree, sugar, oil (if using) and egg with a wooden spoon.  Add the flour mixture slowly, stirring until just moistened.  Do no overmix - the batter is supposed to be lumpy.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping.  Bake until the topping is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into  the center of the muffins, 18 to 20 minutes (they cook quicker when you use the flax, about 5 minutes or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment